Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Something else that has been bugging me....


Um, the Olympics are in China. Yes, it's where my daughter was born. Yes, we have a Chinese flag in our house. Yes, we cheered on a male gymnast from her province (he was from Wuhan to boot, where we stayed to get her!). Yes, Julia knows that she lives in the United States. Yes, we rooted on Micheal Phelps for his quest for gold. No, I don't condone the way China trains it's athletes. No, I don't always agree with their human rights policies. No, we don't talk about China and it's government. No, I don't really care about the ages of China's athletes and whether or not they are legal. Yes, I thought the picture of Spain's basketball team was offensive.


Let's just celebrate what the Olympics are. A gathering of some of the greatest athletes in the world, coming together to compete. I personally am soooo tired of hearing all the (OFFENSIVE WORD WARNING!!) BULLSHIT about China and what it's doing that I want to get a shirt that says, "Don't talk to me about China!".


China is where Julia was born, it's special to me and to Wayne. China means more to us than most anyone will know. I'm grateful and thank God every day for Julia and to a countrys that allowed us to bring her here. Julia wears her stars and stripes on July 4th. She also like to wear red and yell, "Ni Hao!!" Now, let's just enjoy the spirit of the Olympics and leave out the politics. Thanks!


3 comments:

Jess Danielson said...

Amen!!! We second your thoughts exactly!

Mom to 5...Daughter of the King said...

Right there with you, sister! Preach it!!!

Patricia Roebuck said...

Thankfully I haven't been around any of the negative things and hadn't heard or seen the photo of the team, but I agree with you. When we get our little girl, I will be very proud of where she has come from, and will be proud to be an inter-rational family. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they do. You said this well!!!